Affiliate Marketing Growth In E-Commerce
Did you know that e-commerce in its earliest form began way back in 1979?
In that year a very bright English inventor and entrepreneur named Michael Aldrich created the concept of online shopping. His invention enabled online transaction processing between businesses and consumers which we now know as e-commerce.
Unfortunately for Mr. Aldrich, he was so ahead of his time that e-commerce really never got going until 1991 when the National Science Foundation opened up the internet for commercial transactions.
Since those early days e-commerce has exploded and continues to experience amazing growth. Have a look at this infographic and check out these impressive numbers and statistics:
Here are key moments in the growth of e-commerce:
- Michael Aldrich invents the concept of online shopping in 1979
- E-commerce sales are growing at a staggering pace of more than 19% a year and will likely surpass $1.4 trillion in 2015 In 2012 we saw online retail sales of $225.5 billion, while in 2017 it’s expected for us to see how $434.2 billion in sales
- The major driving forces behind the growth in e-commerce are the massive amount of people getting online around the world, smartphone and tablets making it easy for anyone to always be online and increased spending in online advertising
- CDNow launches the first affiliate program back in 1994
- Amazon launches their associates program in 1996, which contributes to their massive growth and reign as the number one online shopping site
- Amazon.com, eFlorist, Beauty Encounter, ABT and ShopWiki are all huge case studies for the success of affiliate marketing and e-commerce
- Every year, more brands and web sites are implementing affiliate marketing into their businesses to expand their promotions, reach and sales to new levels.